Boardgame Design Project

It’s been a little longer than I intended since my last update to this series, but I’m going to try and catch up to where I am now with the development of Acute Care. In the last article, I described most of the changes I made after my first few playtest games, but there was still a little more…

Big Problems – So, what was wrong with it? Most importatly to me, it was that the “best” way to play the game was to totally ignore your patients, or, even worse, to actively seek to make them worse so you could send them to Critical Care and have more time to spend doing “quality improvement”. I had some pretty clear design goals for this game, and this really slapped every freaking one of them in the face…

I’m a little bit giddy today. Sure, part of it is the 3 hours of sleep I had after staying out too late at game night. But the bigger issue at hand is the fact that part of the evening’s festivities included a couple of playtest games for Acute Care! I’ll get to how it went a little later, but let me back up a little…

I’ve let way more time pass than I planned between the last Boardgame Design Project article and this one. And unfortunately, I haven’t made a lot more progress. But I still wanted to go over some of the mechanics that I didn’t get to last time, as well as talking a little about some of the changes that I’m already considering…

This is the second article in my series following the design of what will hopefully be my first game.  As I mentioned in the first post, the game is called Acute Care and is a cooperative game about nurses managing a busy acute care unit in a hospital.  This time around, I’m going to lay out some of my ideas about how the game might actually play and what sorts of mechanics it might include…

But over the last couple of months, I think that I may have actually come across “the” idea that I can actually follow through to some level of completion. And in hopes that it will help keep me motivated and working towards making this a reality, I thought it might be a good idea to make this project public by tying it to a series of articles here on my blog…